Consultations with a learning advisor are up to 40 minutes long and can cover any question or questions related to writing, critical thinking or study. Alternatively, you can bring us a written assignment for a general review of your writing and suggestions for improvement. Here are some examples of the questions that students typically bring us:
- Can you tell me what I am supposed to do for this essay? I don't even know where to begin.
- Can we talk about how I'm going to pull together all the different strands in my lit review?
- My tutor told me I had too many quotations in this essay. Can you tell me what's wrong with that?
- How do I study for a lab practical exam?
- Would you check the grammar in this essay?
(We will work with you to check over short passages, and explain any errors, but we do not proofread entire assignments.)
More consultation questions — and our responses — can be found on the Consultation Questions page.
Consultations are held at the Academic Skills Centre, Level 3, Central Library. Consultations are limited to one per fortnight per student with a limit of up to 10 appointments a year. To make an appointment, phone (03) 369 3900. If you are bringing written work, please print it in a 12-point font with double spacing. Also, please bring the handout with the essay question and any other relevant materials.
Please be aware that sometimes advisors may change due to unforeseen circumstances.