Academic Skills for Thesis Writers
The Academic Skills Centre offers a series of workshops for Master’s and PhD students ‒ those who are at the thesis proposal stage, through to students whose theses are nearing completion. All workshops are 50-minutes.
Each session covers a different topic. Topics may include:
- Critical reading
- Effective note-taking
- Thesis structure and planning
- Writing proposals
- Writing a literature review
- Writing a coherent thesis: Key strategies
- Time management
- The publication process
Dates and times
- ZOOM ONLY: Monday, 31 October 2022 to Thursday 3 November 2022, from 3.00 pm to 3.50 pm. Please enrol in the series, and attend the sessions that are of interest to you. 31 October - Thesis structure and planning, 1 November - Literature reviews, 2 November - Note-taking, 3 November - Poster making: passed
- ZOOM ONLY: Monday, 20 February 2023 to Friday, 24 February 2023, from 3.00 pm to 3.50 pm. Please enrol in the series, and attend the sessions that are of interest to you. 20/2 - Thesis structure and planning, 21/2 - Proposals (qualitative), 22/2 - Literature Review, 23/2 - Time Management, 24/2 Publication process: enrolment and venue>>
- IN-PERSON ONLY: Monday, 27 February 2023 to Monday, 27 March 2023, from 3.00 pm to 3.50 pm. Please enrol in the series, and attend the sessions that are of interest to you. 27/2 - Writing a coherent thesis, 6/3 - Proposals (qualitative), 22/2 - Literature Review, 23/2 - Time Management, 24/2 Publication process: passed
If you cannot attend in person, either because the room is full or because you are not on campus, you will still be able to attend as all sessions will be live-streamed via Zoom. A Zoom link will be sent to enrolled students. If you would like to find out more, email Judith Coullie.
Kick-start your research
Hosted jointly by the Academic Skills Centre and PGSA, these gatherings are intended to help students who are beginning the research journey to get started and keep going.
This “Kick-start your research” workshop for early stage master’s and doctoral research students will be held on Wednesday, 3 August 2022 from 2.00-3.00 pm in The Living Room (next to the University Book Store).
Speakers will offer support and share top tips and will answer questions you may have relating to your research. Speakers include the Dean of Postgraduate Research and representatives from the Academic Skills Centre, the UC Library and the Postgraduate Students’ Association.
COVID alert levels permitting, the Postgraduate Students’ Association will provide refreshments.
We hope you can make it. RSVP to email@example.com
Writing a Literature Review (PDF handout)
Many other resources can be found at http://www.lps.canterbury.ac.nz/lsc/resources.php