Speaking and Listening for English Language Learners
These 50-minute workshops allow students to practise social conversation and academic discussion in a fun and supportive environment.
Each session covers a different topic. Topics include:
- participating in discussions
- asking and answering questions
- defending a point of view
listening in lectures and presentations
- starting and continuing a conversation
- speaking politely
- disagreeing in a culturally appropriate way
Workshop participants will have the opportunity to speak with students who are native English speakers as well as other English language learners.
Tutor: Jessica Ritchie
If you have difficulty enrolling, please email Jessica.
Course Outline (PDF)
Dates and times
- Wednesday, 9 May 2018, from 2.00 pm to 2.50 pm - TOPIC: Expressing Opionions and Disagreeing: passed
- Thursday, 2 August 2018, from 2.00 pm to 2.50 pm - TOPIC: Reaching a Consensus: enrolment and venue>>
- Tuesday, 24 July 2018, from 2.00 pm to 2.50 pm - TOPIC: Expressing Opinions : enrolment and venue>>
Even if this workshop is fully booked, it is likely there will be space on the day, so feel free to turn up. If you would like to be notified when this workshop is next scheduled, request it at a different time or day, or just find out more, email Jessica.